Go to our website and have a look at the modules that we offer in different languages. Choose the one that interests you, keeping in mind what type of module it is (integrated skills module, optional external exam, specific skills module…). You may also come to the Language Centre reception desk with any questions and/or see a teacher.
Registration period for:
|Autumn semester||from 15 August to 17 September 2019|
|Spring semester||from 15 January to 18 February 2020|
During this period, you can pre-register by following the steps outlined below:
- indicate which module you would like to do
- provide some personal data
- do a self-assessment, give some information about your previous learning in the language of your choice and formulate your objectives
- do a placement test – except if you are a complete beginner
- indicate when you are available (the group module timetable will be set up according to the availability of the participants)
All of this information is important so that you can be best placed according to your level, your objectives, your availability, etc. Thank you in advance for completing your file carefully.
Please note that the placement test is obligatory (except for total beginners and those who have recently completed it). You will not be placed in a group unless it is completed in full. However, this is only a pre-registration, which does not guarantee you a place in a group (that will depend on the timetable and your level).
In order to allow a maximum of students to benefit from our courses, certain limitations exist:
- You may register for 3 different languages. However, you will be placed in a maximum of 2 groups and assignment to a group cannot be guaranteed as it will depend on both the timetable and the number of classes opened.
- You cannot register for more than one module per language; however, you may be able to change modules if you are not placed in your chosen module. Upon receipt of your non-placement email, come to the Language Centre to explore other possibilities.
Pre-registration is done online:
- Click on “Register online”, which you will find on our website.
- The programme will ask you for identification: this consists of your user name and password for your EPFL email address.
- Choose the type of module you are interested in and then follow the steps in the registration procedure
You can interrupt the process at any time and go back to it later. Pre-registration is completed and accessible at the Language Centre once you confirm at the final stage.
You can no longer modify it (access for consultation purposes only). If you are not a member of the EPFL but have access to our courses (collaborators of the Confederation, spouse of a student or collaborator), you can set up an account and receive ID allowing you to register.
Based on the results of your placement test and other information you have provided, our teachers will determine your level and the module you should register for. The timetable for group modules is not set up in advance: groups are formed according to the availability of the participants. We open a group module when there are enough participants registered at the same level at the same time. When a group is full, a waiting list is opened. (NB: It remains valid for only the first 2-3 weeks of the semester.) As soon as a place becomes available, you will be informed by email.
The timetable of group modules will be available after the deadline registration period. You can consult the timetable in your online file.
Placed or non-placed?
On the days following the registration deadline, you will receive an email informing you whether or not you have been placed. You can also consult your online file.
You have been placed:
- All information concerning your module (room number, time) is in your online file.
- If at all possible, confirmations will be sent by email (to your EPFL email address) before the module begins.
- If your module contains a multimedia session, do not forget to choose a time online (you can also change the time later according to the same procedure).
You have not been placed:
This might be due to several factors:
- the time of the module does not match the availability you have indicated
- we could not open the module that you are interested in
- we could not place everyone in the module…
Come to the Language Centre:
- You might be able to adjust your timetable to the one set up for the group module and get a place (if not, then you will be placed on the waiting list).
- We can suggest alternatives: other modules, learning independently (Guided autonomy).
- We can inform you about other learning modes independent of a group (Multimedia Centre for Personalised Learning – Free-access EMA, Tandem).